Monday 30 June 2014

A Better Way to Spend 90 Minutes

Admittedly, I had the intention of writing and publishing this article before the England team packed their bags and returned home to a disenchanted, though not surprised, nation.  Whilst trying to reshape this article concept to fit Wimbledon, I was pleasantly disappointed to realise that World Cup fever was still going strong.  The matches were still being watched.  Results still talked about. My office even had a dress up as a country from the World Cup day. (For the record, my fave blue and white stripy top led to an imaginative Argentinian costume, so much so that my name wasn't even entered into the best dressed competition).

It’s not that I don’t like football. I mean I couldn't run around for 90 minutes, I can’t even run up the stairs, just don’t get me started about how much they get paid or that these ‘professionals’ can get away with biting people, and yes I am tarring all football players with the same Suárez coated brush.

It's just that I can just think of 101 better ways to spend 90 minutes of my life.

Lucky for you, I won’t waste 90 minutes of your life by listing all of the 101 better ways to spend 90 minutes.* Instead, I have compiled a list of five of my favourite films.  (I’ve been extra careful not to include spoilers).  I know I have questionable taste in films, but perhaps give a match a miss and watch one of these? You might even enjoy it. 

 1) Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)

Seattle magazine employee, Jake (Nick from New Girl), picks two interns, Darius, the lesbian and Arnau, the Indian (the film’s words, not mine) to write the story behind an unusual classified ad.
“WANTED. Someone to go back in time with me.  This is not a joke. You’ll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.”
Let the cool and charming qualities of this film wash over you.  Don’t overthink it, just enjoy.  Let yourself smile like a loon and let yourself cry for reasons you can't quite explain. 



2) Frozen (2013)     

      Don't try to be cool and avoid the hype and don’t complain that ‘Let it go’ is completely overplayed. With castles, princesses, a hilarious talking snowman, ‘true’ love and a lot of bursting into song, it’s true that Frozen has all the, sometimes annoying, ingredients for a typical Disney film. But when you watch it you’ll realise its refreshingly unconventional, and if you don’t like it you have no soul.   


3)      13 Tzameti (2005)

Written and directed by Georgian filmmaker Géla Babluani, 13 Tzameti looks on as Sébastien, a young immigrant, follows instructions promising riches, meant for someone else. Assuming a false identity, Sébastien becomes involved in a game of Russian roulette, where men bet on the lives of other men. A minimalistic psychological thriller, this is one film where you won’t want the light to turn on.  For those who don’t appreciate black and white, subtitled films, this is the exception. Once you’ve seen this film, your heart will pound and your palms sweat just thinking about it. 


4)      V for Vendetta (2005)

  In a dystopian near-future England, the beautiful Natalie Portman plays Evey, ally to V, an eloquent, charming masked freedom fighter/ terrorist.  Based on the incredible graphic novel of the same title, V for Vendetta depicts a heavily oppressed Britain, with strong references to the fear of government surveillance and the corruption of the media. In his sinister Guy Fawkes mask, which has since been used by anti-establishment protestors around the world, V sparks a revolution. This film is simply amazing.




5)      Pitch Perfect (2012)

Aside from the fact that Anna Kendrick is 100% the coolest person in the world and I want her to be my best friend, this is such a fun film.  Rebel Wilson is ridiculous as Fat Amy and the songs really are great.  You’ll end this film wondering whether you’ve missed your chance to put together the best a cappella group ever and spend your evenings lurking round alleyways and car parks, hoping to find yourself in the midst of a riff-off.


Harriet


*I was honestly aiming for films under 90 minutes.  Then I remembered about half time, extra time, injury time, commentators rambling on time, interview time and biting time so I stopped worrying too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment